Does learning a craft intimidate you? Does drawing a stick person challenge you? Unlike crafts that take years to master, stamping offers satisfying results the first time you hold a stamp in your hand.
Hand-stamped cards are a great place to start. Just take a SIP. Start with Stamps, quickstamp Ink, and Paper. Add a slip of ribbon or a punched layer for a great first card.
- Stamps – Rubber stamps give the best results. Look for a rubber stamp that has a fair amount of “cushion” for smooth, quick stamp even results. Try buying stamps in sets for coordinating projects and versatility.
- Ink – Dye Inks are typically used in card making because of their quick dry times and ease of use. Pigment or craft inks are thicker requiring longer drying times, quickstamp making them a little harder for the beginner to use. scrapbookers value pigment ink because it is more opaque and archival. Pigment inks are also used for special techniques such as heat embossing. Buy from a reputable company for quality inks and quality results. Inferior inks will bleed and fade.
- Paper – A good quality card stock for card making is typically 80 LB weight. Not only can you feel the difference, quick stamp but you will also see the difference. Construction paper or flimsy card stock produces poor results, such as smearing and incomplete coverage.
- A clean, smooth, hard surface is essential for stamping. Clean hands-free of excess oils is a must to prevent stains on your card stock.
- Make sure your ink pads are well inked and ready to use. qqstamp
- The standard card base measures 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ or 4-1/4″ x 11″. Halve a piece of 8-1/2″ x 11″ card stock for two card bases. Cards are then scored or creased at the halfway mark-4-1/4″ or 5-1/2″.
- If your ink pad is well inked, a simple tap, outdoorsfan on the pad will load your stamp. Press firmly without rocking on your card stock. It’s so simple and so fun. Stamping is both therapeutic and additive.
Card-making is only the beginning. Try stamping for great inexpensive backgrounds and accents for scrapbook layouts. Or stamp a quick gift tag, gift bag, or recipe card. Advanced stampers make custom tile coasters, silk scarves, and more.
Experienced crafters and beginners alike enjoy the benefits of rubber stamping. Minimal supplies are necessary to get started. Though, like any hobby, it’s fun to add to your collection. Stamping relaxes the mind and offers an outlet for creativity.